Telekom 6K VR Live Production
An World’s First Award Winning Production
- Live VR360 streaming of a professional league basketball game with ClearVR;
- Full, multi-party, professional, end-to-end chain;
- Two simultaneous camera feeds with instant user-initiated switching;
- High, 6K VR360 quality at average bitrates below 10 Mbit/s per user;
- Full, mixed audio feeds audio with professional commentary;
- Unlimited scalability of distribution (within CDN constraints);
- Playback of the same 6K sources across multiple platforms: today’s VR Headsets (Oculus Go and Gear VR), and Android tablets, phones and STBs. Select iOS users also had access.
On Sunday 9 December 2018, Tiledmedia’s ClearVR technology enabled the world’s first public live VR production at a resolution considerably exceeding the 4K traditionally used for live VR streaming.
This event followed a successful try-out on November 11 in the same venue: The Telekom Dome in Bonn.
Commissioned by Deutsche Telekom and available in DT’s MagentaVR app, the project partners built a complete end-to-end system around our ClearVR tiled streaming technology. On 11 November and 9 December 2018 it went online to stream professional Bundesliga Basketball matches from Bonn (GER) in high-quality 360-degree Virtual Reality. The matches were Crailsheim Merlins @ Telekom Baskets on 11 November and EWE Oldenburg Baskets @ Telekom Baskets on 9 December 2018.
Users across Europe had a choice between two cameras, both streamed in high, 6K quality; one at the sideline in front of the officials’ table, and the other mounted to the post of one of the baskets.
Sven Bolthausen from MediaKind speaks at the IABM Conference about the project